Saturday, March 3, 2012

Portland's Little Red Book Of Stairs

Today was pretty much perfect.

First, I got up early and did an 8.5 mile run with Aimee...aka my favorite running buddy!

Then, we spent some quality time watching the gym rats play basketball. Both kids and their teams did an awesome job today. It's amazing how fast they get better at playing as a team with good coaching and great kids to play with!

Last, I took my girl to walk run some of the old stairs in the NW Portland Alphabet District. She can't walk on those stairs, she has to beat me up and down every one of them and I, of course, just couldn't let that happen. Well, she won most of our races, but who's counting?


If you're at all interested in the many, many stairs that Portland has to offer, there is an awesome book that is almost impossible to find. It's a floppy, spiral bound book called Portland's Little Red Book of Stairs by Stefana Young. I've been trying to find a copy of it for almost 10 years (it's hard to find an independently published, out of print book) and I just finally found it (used) at Powell's. I've checked it out many times from the library, but I'm so excited that I'm finally going to have my own copy!

Now for some pics of my girl from our adventure...




One of the coolest things about the stairways in NW Portland is the neighborhoods they're in. Many of the houses that line the staircases are HUGE and were built in the early 20th century (that's old for Portland). They are absolutely beautiful and did I mention HUGE?

Days: 132 & 133
Daily Miles: 1 & 8.49
Total Miles: 274.1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...